Ravi Mohan's Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fish Eye Plans

One of the emergent effects of my time management meta focus is that I have I call a "fish eye" plan.

I know in great detail what I will be working on in the immediate future (say the next few days). Next week, I know, but in less detail.I know what I'll be working on next month, but at a higher level of abstraction. Next quarter, even more abstract, but I *do* know what I'll be doing. So if you ask me what I'll be doing in (say) March 2008, I'll have an answer. Not many people can answer that question. This is a very refreshing change.

This is not to say that plans won't change. They will, but you know what they say about failing to plan.

What pleases me the most is that I didn't set out to do this. I just followed Dr Randy Pausch's "system" of time management (with many tweaks and some significant additions from elsewhere) and it all just fell out.

Life is good.

Question: Is anyone in Bangalore (anywhere in India will do at a pinch) doing significant programming in Haskell? Mail me please. Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

Manoj Govindan said...

I wish people would make at least fish eyed plans. The norms in Indian software services industry are blind fish plans or cross eyed fish plans.

Anonymous said...

Aho my friend ...

I plan this way ...

- A month from now I'd know how to write (xxx) in a snap ...

- A couple of months from now, I would be able to teach someone how to write (xxx) in a snap ...

- Six months from now, I would be debt free ...

- Three months from now, I would have (xxx) agree to (yyy) ... and pay me ($$$) ...

Plans are more of a wish list, do you agree ?

The difference is in those who honestly (work) towards those wishes, and those who write it down, and go get a beer ...

Best wishes my friend ...

Click, click ...

Ravi said...

"Plans are more of a wish list, "

Interesting thought! I see plans as statements of intent, constrained by the (projected) availability of resources (time, money etc).

There is an element of uncertainty (as do all projections into the future) but this seems have fundamental differences with a 'wish list'.

But hey there's space for all view points. :-)

Back to work,